CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, November 22, 2008

...................................................................................



As one who has watched The Secret on several occasions I try to ascribe to being grateful everyday. I can't say that I am always perfect in doing so. In fact I could quite possibly say that many think that I can be overbearing with idea of it. I can't help the feelings of others in that regard and I don't do it to be a pain. I merely think about the blessings we all have and how sometimes we get caught up in our daily grind to realize them. Thanksgiving is my absolute favorite holiday. Even as a little kid the idea of Turkey Day has been divine. There are so many people telling me "This is just one day you should be thankful everyday." Yes this is true and I am. One of my co-workers expressed that indigenous Americans died on Thanksgiving Day. It was a morbid idea especially for a lover of the holiday.

But I have always been grateful for the fact that my family were all in the house at the same time. Not running in grabbing a bite and running out. We all sat down around a table with food prepared by my pop-pop with assistance and specialties from select folks like my uncle's eggplant parmigiana. I can smell the creamed onions that my grandfather would make. It wasn't a favorite of mine though it was our tradition. I was always partial to the TURNIPS and mashed potatoes! Folks in DC don't know what I am talking about when I start talking about the side dishes that my grandfather would make for dinner. But this time of year lately I get a little melancholy. After my grandfather past, Thanksgiving dinner was not the same of course. He always made it no matter how much folks were bickering with one another or who was angry with who. He was our glue. They don't make that kind of glue that fits with our family anymore. Traditions change and it can definitely be hard to take. Take for instance... a seafood Thanksgiving... "Mom where is the turkey."

But seriously my traditions are slowly changing as I journey through life. It doesn't disappoint me in the least. I am grateful everyday and tomorrow I will be grateful as well. I think about those people who don't have any family to have a meal with, those who have lost someone dear and for them, this holiday will be a tough one to get through.

Earlier this evening I thought about those new to America who have adopted its traditions. What is their celebration like? In the future beginning my own family what will my traditions look like. Tonight, I did a pre- holiday dinner. On an evening that I thought "my cabinets are bare" I was able to create a meal of yams, mashed potatoes, string beans, stuffing, cranberry sauce and rice with a mushroom gravy. The only thing that was missing was the turkey, but I have gratitude for the Blessings that have been supplied.

0 comments: